Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

As I've lost 31 pounds and counting-part i


Let me preface this series of articles to say that I am not a professional trainer, dietician or healthcare. I am just a writer and businessman who has decided that I needed to do something about my weight. I was not obese, but certainly was overweight and heading for clogged arteries and probably a heart attack, before I hit 50. What follows is what worked for me, and what I honestly think will work for anyone willing to commit mentally. The key is the commitment, and that is the hardest part.

There is no miracle diet, no big secret, and it cost me a dime. There are no pills, no monthly fee, no fancy diet books and no gym membership involved. All you need to do is change your thinking, set a goal, make a plan for how it will achieve that goal and commit 100 percent.

You must accept that losing weight is not like winning the lottery. Don't wake up the next day 30 pounds lighter. There is work involved, but not so much clothe you. If this is the weight loss as the lottery your chances of success are about the same. Slim to none and slim just left town.

I'm down 31 pounds and three sizes of waist (almost 4) in just over four months. Or, to put it another way I lost the equivalent of four litres of milk. Try carrying four litres of milk around all day. Becomes heavy fast. Those four months seemed a long way, but looking back it is truly remarkable that accomplished and far exceeded my original goal. As much as I like to think so, I'm not special. Anyone can do this, you too.

When I was a kid I was a skinny twig. When I was 17-18 years I would eat two double cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, French fries and a large regular Coke for lunch. Every day. I have never gained weight.

When I hit 23 years slowed down my metabolism. I also met the girl of my dreams, which is an amazing Cook. Fast forward ten years and that I had earned 71 kilos! In fact, it only took about four years to put on that 71 pounds. Did nothing for six years.

In February this year, I had that ugly influence that was around the country. I couldn't shake it, so I went to see a doctor. You weigh the way medical accurate scale. I couldn't believe that I weighed 206 pounds. For a man of 5 ' 10 "which isn't bad if you're a solid muscle and play running back for the Cleveland Browns. But, for a guy who is flabby and out of shape that is overweight.

I realized that the reason they are winded quickly climbing the stairs and the reason for the knee wasn't sore. It was weight. Something finally clicked in my mind and decided right then that I would lose weight. I did not know how.

My wife and I had just booked a trip to Las Vegas for our anniversary in May. My goal was to lose 15 pounds before he left. I had three months to do so. Honestly, I didn't think I could lose weight. By the time we left I was down 22 kilos! In the last month since we got back I dropped another 9 pounds. I had to buy all new pants because I dropped 3 dimensions of life.

I have a new goal to take off 10 more arrive at 165 pounds. Now that you know how to meet that goal.

So, the big question is how did do, right? People have asked me if I went on Weight Watchers or Nutri-System. They asked if I was on a low carb diet, a vegan diet, etc. The answer is I simply changed my mind and decided to do what it took to lose weight. I had a goal, and I committed to achieve this objective.

I call it unconventional thinking, but it is not all that radical. Common sense tells you that junk food is bad, eat foods that are best for you will be, well, better for you. As the saying goes, you are what you eat. I preach the conformist thinking in business all the time. Changing the paradigm, etc. It occurred to me that I needed to implement my ideas maverick to my health.

The first step was to decide on a starting date for eating better. You cannot decide just who eat better without a plan and a solid goal. About a week beforehand I decided I'd begin to eat better on 18 February, and I lost 15 pounds from 19 May. Then wrote the goal downwards and marked the calendar. I thought with about 12 weeks if I lost just about a pound or two every week that would meet my goal. I chose on Thursday morning as my weigh in-day each week. My rule was that I would just step on the scale Thursday morning. It would be a weekly chart my progress and hopes to stay on track.

During the next week I looked at the plate or wrapper I ate when I was done eating. The fat left on the plate is really serious. When you look really that it is rather ugly slime. It would be licking that plate? Of course it is disgusting. Then, I considered what I just ate was full of that shit. The end game. I couldn't put that in my body any longer.

From that moment on I had embedded in my mind that many of the foods I ate were simply junk, and the equivalent to eat from a trash can. This is what we wanted. I had to change the way that I thought of food. It was no longer on yummy Donuts as they are, or how much I liked enjoy a cheeseburger fatty. In fact I became angry towards those types of food. I started to think how utterly foolish is eating like garbage. I do not preach to others or to say it aloud, but when a fellow grabbed a doughnut or four at the Office I would think to myself, "what a weak". That was my motivation to not be tempted to cheat or fall off the wagon. If you want to call it cocky, but I'm down 31 pounds, my friend.Whatever it takes.

Then, set your goal and motivation. If you want to lose 20 pounds in a week you're going to be disappointed because it won't happen. That is an unrealistic goal. Make it a reasonable period of time, even if you think that is too long. It is better to shoot for the sky and reach for the stars that the other way around. Grab a calendar and write down your goal weight date. Then, figure out how many times you weigh and set reasonable reference parameters. Keep in mind you probably lose weight slow at first, then will drop faster, so progress could slow once before picking up again. Just as your goal, not set benchmarks have no chance to reach. You can only get discouraged and wants to quit. Never close, never ever stop.

In the second part I'll explain how I changed my eating habits to keep my daily calorie intake below 1500 calories, but still enjoy tasty foods.

See you tomorrow.




Ted Hebert is a writer and thinker Maverick, who works with businesses of all sizes to grow their business. Contact ted@atunga.com Ted or visit http://www.Atunga.com





This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

0 comments:

Post a Comment